How do you get your team performing? The answer depends on 5 things.
1. Leadership: What is your leadership style? How are you leading? Is there shared leadership? Is there leadership at all levels?
2. Shared Vision/Understanding of the Mission: What is the vision of your team? Does everyone buy into it? Is it shared? Embraced? Have you asked others what their vision and goals are? Expectations?
Make 3 things clear up front:
- Define your Mission = Where the company or project is going
- Define its Purpose = Why are we going there.
- Define its Reward = What's in it for all of us! (not just the company)
3. Relationship: How does the team communicate? What perceptions or assumptions exist? Are there shared values? Are values in conflict?
4. Approach to Conflict: Does the team react to conflict work together to understand causes behind the behavior that looks like conflict? How is conflict within the team handled?
5. Motivation and Recognition: Is your team compelled to work together? What is your team environment? How do you recognize your team?
Tips: Recognize publicly to influence all peers, use technology to share the best practices or wins openly real-time (WhatsApp, etc.), use a competitive & collaborative approach where results are tracked & transparent (share a leader board, etc.).